Friday, January 25, 2008

A Dying Breed




When you think of knights, what comes to mind? Swordbearing heroes that charge into battle might be one thing. Guardians and protectors of their king and kingdom might be another. But there is one word that I think sums the idea of knights up: Chivalry. Knights had codes of conduct that they were supposed to live by, and chivalry was a big part of that. Now, what is chivalry exactly? The 1828 Webster's Dictionary calls it "The system of knighthood; the priveledges, characteristics or manners of knights; the practice of knight errantry, or the heroic defense of life and honor". The Dictionary of ***Flinn*** (tee hee) calls it "the system of honor, bravery, curtesy, and thoughtfulness demonstrated by true knights". Squires were taught from a very young age how to be curtious to ladies and elders, the proper manners for different occasions, and the meaning of honor.


So where am I going with this? Well, in this day and age, how many boys or young men do you know that show such qualities? I am very fortunate to know quite a few. But sometimes it's hard to find the characteristics of chivalry in our young men. Too often I see boys who get very angry or sarcastic after a loss to another, or who step in front of ladies in doorways and don't give a thought to holding the door for them. Even the words "Yes, ma'am," or "No sir," are fading from many mouths. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not picking on the guys here. Girls have plenty of their own struggles. But chivalry is something that should never have been put aside like other things such as swords or castles have. I encourage any of you guys out there (if any ever read this) to think the next time you lose a game, whether it be Risk or basketball, and congratulate your opponent. And ladies, the next time a young man holds a door and lets you go first, remember to thank them. I struggle with that sometimes, but try to think about it the next time that happens. Let us be a generation that holds to the characteristics of curtesy and honor. And don't let chivalry die.

4 comments:

saved monster said...

I like the pic. I like the subject. Pretty much true. Chivalry and such is dying as selfishness thrives. Girls and guys.

Araken said...

That is deep and truth. You are so right, Flinn. It's becoming increasingly hard to do all those things, and I forget sometimes. [coughs] ok, a lot of times. I think you've hit the nail on the head, and I'm going to try harder to make chivalry a habit, without slashing some other knight's head off. (even though I do have a sword)

Araken said...

Oh, one more thing. Can I add a link to this blog on my blog?

~Just*Flinn~ said...

Sure thing! Thanks!